Caught with One's Pants Down Idiom
Caught with one's pants down idiom
Can you guess the meaning of the idiom 'caught with one's pants down' by looking at the comic above?
Catch with one's pants down: 1) to surprise someone in an embarrassing situation; 2) to find someone while they're doing something wrong.
The verb 'catch' has an irregular past tense: caught.
This is a figurative expression—it does not mean the person was literally caught with their pants down by their ankles!
- When I came home early I caught my son with his pants down, smoking one of my husband's cigars with his friends.
- My parents caught me with my pants down stealing beer from the keg in the garage.
- I've tried to think of every possible question the board could ask me—I really don't want to get caught with my pants down at the meeting.
- My coworker was caught with her pants down today. She tried to print out 25 photos on our high-quality color printer but the machine jammed.
- I caught my girlfriend with her pants down at the mall. She was exchanging phone numbers with an older guy so I can't trust her anymore.
- We were caught with our pants down when our client asked us why we were charging her $50/hour more than another client.
- My professor always catches me with my pants down when I don't do the reading but never calls on me when I do.
Would you like to know when I add new idioms to my website? Click here to sign-up for my free newsletter and you'll also be in the loop to learn about other updates to my website.
Your Turn to Practice
It's time to practice. Write a one or two examples of your own and I will give you feedback! Practicing is the most important part of English study. You'll find it very difficult to remember new phrases if you don't try to use them yourself.
Return from "caught with one's pants down" idiom to the main idioms page.
Go to homepage