Idiom: A heart of gold
A heart of gold: A person who is kind, caring and generous.
Gold is considered to be a precious and valuable material so a heart made of gold would similarly represent positive qualities like kindness, goodness, generosity, etc.
- My mother has a heart of gold—she always babysits my kids whenever I need her help.
- Be careful when you interact with the receptionist. She's mean and crazy but the director's secretary has a heart of gold and will help you and answer any questions you have.
- Most grandmothers have a heart of gold but mine is mean, jealous and petty.
- Thank you so much for shoveling the snow off my sidewalk everyday—you've got a heart of gold!
- The president of the company may seem unfriendly but believe me, he has a heart of gold.
- Our nanny has a heart of gold! She always looks for ways to help our kids learn new things and be active.
- That teacher has a heart of gold. Her class is so well-behaved because she creates such a positive and friendly atmosphere in her class.
- Don't worry—my parents have hearts of gold and will love you just the way you are.
- My son's girlfriend has a heart of gold but I'm afraid he'll lose her if he keeps treating her so poorly.
- You'd think all priests would have to have a heart of gold but ours is cold and unfriendly.
- My son has a heart of gold and does everything he can to help us out around the house but my daughter is really selfish and unhelpful. I don't know what to do with her!
- Our director has a heart of gold—she is friendly to everyone and so considerate.
- That doctor has a heart of gold—he listens to his patients and always calls us later to make sure we are feeling better.
- Your sister has a heart of gold. She was so kind to us at our wedding and let us stay at her house all weekend.
You might like these idioms
If you found this idiom useful, sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
Your turn to practice
Writing a sentence of your own will help you practice your English and remember this idiom in the future. I will also write feedback or correct any mistakes you might make. Cheers!
Main Idioms Page
› Idiom: Heart of gold