A Heart of Gold Idiom
A heart of gold (idiom)
A heart of gold: A person who is kind, caring and generous.
Gold is considered to be a precious and valuable material so a heart made of gold would similarly represent positive qualities like kindness, goodness, generosity, etc.
- My mother has a heart of gold—she always babysits my kids whenever I need her help.
- Be careful when you interact with the receptionist. She's mean and crazy but the director's secretary has a heart of gold and will help you and answer any questions you have.
- Most grandmothers have a heart of gold but mine is mean, jealous and petty.
- Thank you so much for shoveling the snow off my sidewalk everyday—you've got a heart of gold!
- The president of the company may seem unfriendly but believe me, he has a heart of gold.
- Our nanny has a heart of gold! She always looks for ways to help our kids learn new things and be active.
- That teacher has a heart of gold. Her class is so well-behaved because she creates such a positive and friendly atmosphere in her class.
- Don't worry—my parents have hearts of gold and will love you just the way you are.
- My son's girlfriend has a heart of gold but I'm afraid he'll lose her if he keeps treating her so poorly.
- You'd think all priests would have to have a heart of gold but ours is cold and unfriendly.
If you found this idiom useful, sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
Your turn to practice
Writing a sentence of your own will help you practice your English and remember this idiom in the future. I will also write feedback or correct any mistakes you might make. Cheers!
Main Idioms Page
Heart of Gold Idiom