Idiom: Cry your eyes out
Poor Billy! He’s crying his eyes out because his ice cream fell on the floor.
Idiom: cry your eyes out (cry one's eyes out)
- to cry very hard or in an uncontrolled way
- to cry for a long time
- When John’s wife left him, he cried his eyes out for two weeks straight.
- Sarah cries her eyes out every time she sees a sad movie.
- “I can’t talk now,” Ellen said to her friend. “My daughter is crying her eyes out because she failed her exam.”
- When I tried to break up with my boyfriend he started to cry his eyes out and I was shocked because I didn't know how much he loved me.
- Get down please. You'll be crying your eyes out if you fall off that table.
- Every single person in the audience cried their eyes out listening to the young girl describe her battle with brain cancer.
- I cried my eyes out the day Michael Jackson died. I'm grateful his music lives on.
- cry/sob one's heart out
- in a flood of tears
- drown in tears
- dissolve in tears
You might like these other idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
Your turn to use the idiom "cry your eyes out"
Practice makes progress. It's your turn to use this idiom in your own sample sentence. I will provide feedback to make sure you use the idiom correctly.
When is the last time you cried your eyes out? What happened?
> Main idioms list
> idiom: cry your eyes out